Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Faire, day two

We did not camp at the faire. We actually stayed at Terrible Herbst, now the Hard Rock Hotel. It was pretty nice! I have nothing but respect for those who do the authentic thing, but there's a lot to be said for living in the future (like plumbing)!


The next day, I decided to ready myself for the elements as best I could. I went down to the gift shop and purchased allergy medicine and little packets of kleenex for everyone. I opted out of my contacts, because the wind and dust had swollen my eyes the night before. Brigg was kind enough to braid and wrap my hair. And since it was freaking cold, I bought a shawl at a lady's tent. I was ready!
Allergy-wise, it was a much better day. Weather-wise, it wasn't nearly as bad as the day before, with the exception of the cold. Rain had been forecasted, but it never actually hit. This surprised no one, although I was told it rained the year before (or the year before that). Either way, the clouds stuck around all day, keeping the sun away and bringing the temperature down to the 40s at night. Blankets, boots and cloaks were being purchased at an incredible fast rate.


Since we were right in front of the Field of Honor, we got mobbed every time a show let out. This was pretty cool, and considering our low prices, we did pretty well. Lots of interesting customers, and loads of cute kids!

A bag piper decided to play outside of our tent at one point:
If you are a die-hard renn faire-goer, you might be wondering about his ability to wear sun glasses. As I may have mentioned before, the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism - they're the heavy reenactors in fairs and recreations) does not have as heavy of a hand at this faire as they do at others, the Rennaisance Pleasure Faire in Irwindale, CA for example. There were a few guilds who had their own strict rules. A girl from one guild that Brigg met had McDonald's food in her tent, and they scrambled to hide it under blankets when their guild leader came by for inspection. I think the rule for those working the faire was pretty much this: Dress appropriate, and have common sense. Things such as sunglasses and windbreakers at night tended to be overlooked. The windbreaker thing was especially good for Jan, who dressed as a summertime gypsy.


Once a day, there was a parade of the giant trees and the faerie folk! They'd go all around the park, with the faeries shouting, "Make way for the trees!" And people beating drums and shaking... shakey things that made noise. As a worker of the faire, we had to be discreet with our cameras (or as I liked to call it, my "magic devil picture box") but I managed to take a few pictures:
This little guy was a shrub! Make way for the shrub!



1 comment:

awesomeleslie99 said...

"magic devil picture box" LOL how funny... I need one of them devil boxes myself LOL