Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Let's begin the Faerie Tale Theatre viewing series!

I haven't posted on here in a very long time. It's been so long that I had to get a google account before I could use this blog again, if that gives any idea of how long it's been. Some things have changed in that time. I'm employed at two places, now. I've paid off most of my debt. Both of my parents are unemployed and the entire economy of the country sucks. However, I'm also going to be taking a vacation in the fall, I'm writing a super-duper novel series and I'm still as gorgeous as ever. So you can see there are pros with the cons.
One thing I had started on my MySpace blog was a viewing series on "Faerie Tale Theatre"*. This was a show created by Shelly Duval in the early eighties for a little channel called Showtime. It starred, and was written and directed by, some pretty recognizeable people. Some of them were very well done, while a couple others were just downright sucky. All of them were shot in state-of-the-art video!
I found them on Youtube, after I tried renting them on Netflix for my own personal enjoyment and they started becomming extinct. You see, they were released on special edition DVD, but then another company bought the rights to them and took the DVDs off the market. You can purchase a set online now for like $200, which is absurd. Fortunately, the one girl had them on Youtube, and I totally gave her credit, but then about halfway into the second episode, her account was shut down. I'm pretty sure I didn't have anything to do with that, since I think you can post these videos for free as long as you're not forcing people to pay to watch them. Either way, I shortly discovered someone else had posted the videos onto Youtube, so I started using those. While I don't give that person credit (just to be on the safe side), it isn't very difficult to investigate and see who that person is, if you are so inclined.
I chose to start this viewing series because I was certain that I wasn't alone in enjoying these. It's also interesting to look back and see who was in them. Also, from an actor's perspective, it's interesting to see who stepped up to do these. Children's programming can tend to be looked down upon by other actors, especially at the snobby conservatory I went to (pretty much everything was looked down upon by them if it didn't contain nudity or tears, but that's another post). It's great to see what classy performers came in and treated these episodes as though they were classical pieces. And, in a sense, they are.
So I hope, if you choose to do so, you enjoy this viewing series on "Faerie Tale Theatre".
Links:
*I'll learn how to do Html better, so I can provide links in the text!

Edit: I just discovered they're re-releasing Faerie Tale Theatre onto DVD! You'll find it listed on the shopping link to the right! It comes out in September.

No comments: