Friday, October 14, 2005

Still growing up

Well, if anything, I'm learning.
Life isn't too bad. In fact, it's rather exciting at the moment. See, a whole bunch of stuff has been going on. Lemme splain.
In July, I got a second job (a second full-time job, I might add) at a healthy grocery store. Many of my workdays were 18 hours long. While I was getting $500 paychecks every other week, it was still only $9 an hour. I was staying afloat, but I still wasn't getting ahead.
So, this week I quit my job at the healthy grocery store and got a job at a night club at the nearest theme park. My grocery manager yelled at me and told me that my quitting was what is wrong with "this generation today". He also told me he refused to accept my resignation, which stunned me a little bit.
"Well," I said, "I'm still resigning, today. And I've brought all of my stuff. And today is my last day. And that's just the way it is."
He just looked at me for a moment, and I looked right back at him. Then he exasperatedly said "Fine!" And that was it.
So I got this job at a night club at a them park. Immediately. As in, I went in, filled out an application, and was hired. I thought something was a little weird with that, and my first night of training I found out why. Actually there are a number of reasons. First and foremost, if a table walks out on their bill, the server has to pay for it out of their tips. Turns out this is illegal. According to my good friend, Orphan Jungle, it's about as illegal as making a server pay for a plate they break. Besides that, according to the girl who trained me (after one of my tables last night decided to mess with me by taking the bill of my other table), sometimes the servers steal tips from eachother. Now, it's one thing to not trust the guests, in my oppinion. But if you can't trust your coworkers, what's the point? So I quit that job, today.
So I now have one job, again. What does this mean for me? Well, for one thing, I'm going to be able to get more sleep. What this will mean for me, financially is up in the air. I may have to get a(nother) second job. But the holiday season is the good money season for my job at the Scottish Place, be it lunch or dinner. My managers are telling me they're willing to retrain me for dinners. So we'll see.
As for now, I'm going to bed.

No comments: