Sunday, July 24, 2011

How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Part 3

Come on, everybody! Let's go to the museum!



These rams make me think very much of astrology, though I think the ancient egyptian period that we're familiar with was during the age of Taurus.
We're in the Age of Aquarius right now. Just like the song from "Hair" says.

The Ages go backwards in the zodiac. We were just in the Age of Pisces, which lasted from about A.D. 1 to the year 2000. (I'm totally getting this information from The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need, by Joanna Martin Woolfolk.)
So the next Age will be the Age of Capricorn, which will occur around the year 4000.
 
I wonder if man will survive to the year 4000? I wonder if the ancient Egyptians thought mankind would still be roaming the earth four thousand years after they did?


It's amazing that as many of their relics survived. I bet we're missing tons of important stuff though.

We're discovering new things about ancient societies all the time. They had filtration systems for aquariums. They had medicine tablets, similar to our own pills today, that sailors could take to avoid sea-sickness. They mechanical boxes that could show them the position of the stars on any given day of any year. Yet the general concensus seems to be that the ancients were so dumb and we're vastly more intelligent and capable.

I wonder how many of our items will be around two thousand years from now. Do you think our computer and internet records will be salvagable by archeaologists then? Maybe people then will look back on us and wonder how we managed to survive our incredibly barbaric times? They'll say, "Those people from the Ding Dong Era were so basic. They stopped reading by the decade Ding 8. We can't find anymore printed records after that." They'll totally rename our era to something like that. They'll have a completely new calendar system. I'm sure the ancient Egyptians didn't celebrate the year 3345 B.C. and looked forward to 3344 B.C.  

As you may have guessed, I wasn't too thrilled to remember much of the information inside the museum. I've read much of it before... Hey, are those pomegranates? 



















Posted by Picasa

No comments: