Friday, June 24, 2011

"... I think I'll put this play away for a while and go back to the war play."

On my way to work earlier in the week, I had a "what if" thought. It started out simple enough, but I kept thinking about it and it became more and more interesting to me. Soon I realized I had a third book on my hands. Once I was home, I started working on story and character outlines.
I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, I'm thrilled that I have a third book in the works. Yay, three books. Now when I have an agent and a publisher I can say, "Don't worry, I have at least three books I can give you!" "Hooray!" They'll cry as they throw their arms up in celebration and begin planning my book-signing world tour.
On the other hand, I haven't finished the other two, let alone one. This shouldn't bug the heck out of me, but it does. Of course complaining about it doesn't help matters, but I'm sure I could find a study that suggests otherwise. A couple days ago I read an article called Myths About the Future that Could Ruin Your Life . One of the myths was that those who imagine a positive future tend to have less energy to actually acheive that future, because your brain can confuse fantasy with reality and figures you're already there, I guess. Anyway, it's kind of depressing.
Another thing that occured to me as I worked on the third book is that there's probably going to be a good chunk of people who won't like my books. Not because it won't be in their favorite genre, but because they won't like what my books have to say about things like religion. My stories, the more I look at them, are very spiritual and I'm not sure how people will take to that. (Incidentally, I've written about five different sentences to follow that last one and have erased them all on account of not fully agreeing with what I wrote.)
In other news, I'm really enjoying this book, Outlander . I'm just over half way through it and it's fun. It involves time travel and Scotland, for a quick sum-up. If you've read it and care to discuss it, I'm all for that, but I don't think I'll spoil it until after I've finished reading it.

No comments: