Friday, March 31, 2006

My jeans are falling apart!

Well, my mom ordered a router and adapter, so I may have my computer up and running by this next week. So you know what that means: pictures of cats and sand!
So much sand...
It's been cloudy, quite often, as it has been in all of southern California. And it's been super windy here, too. But it's almost always super windy, here. And it simply isn't warm, yet. I wish I'd get hired somewhere, so I could make some money and by some amazing clothing, already. I finally got my security deposit, and it was about $200 less than I was expecting. Oh well, another thing to remind me of why I left L.A. (never enough money)
I dropped out of the play. I did this for several reasons. First off, I couldn't stand the play. Second, they wanted me to memorize many, many lines, and I know that I'm simply not ready for a role that large in such a short amount of time. Third, the owner of the restaurant flat out told me he needed me to wait tables for him on Wednesday, and then asked me if I could do it. Maybe it doesn't read as shifty as it sounded, but I hadn't filled out a W-2 with him, and my gut was telling me that this wouldn't be the only time something like this would happen. I could just picture, three months down the road, working for practically no money at the owner's beck and call and memorizing badly-written plays that I really didn't want imprinted on my brain. It struck me that that is not why I came out here. I took a different direction so that I could do what I wanted to do, not more of what other people wanted me to do (while I realize compromises need to be made sometimes, my goal is not to be a big pushover, anymore). So I'm demanding a better situation for myself. Even if it takes a while (because it's certainly taking longer than I expected it to-- I thought I'd be working by now), it's okay, because I'm in a situation where I have to worry as much.
Speaking of getting a job, that one restaurant I went to that said they'd probably hire me-- uh-- hasn't called, yet. I'm still confident they'll call me, because they said they were retrofitting their computers in a few weeks, and that's when they'd start training people. But still, if they haven't called by this weekend, I'm going to call them. And then, maybe (ugh!) I'll look for a job, again.
So that's what's happening over here. Don't forget, dear readers, to set your clocks forward on Saturday night.

No comments: