Monday, March 27, 2006

It's not the house so much as the lifestyle...

Well, my computer's still not set up, so no pictures, yet. Don't fret, it'll happen. Because I know you're all just dying to see more pictures of the cats. And sand. So much sand...
Things are still moving slowly, here. But, you know, I think maybe that's just the way things work, here. It's nice, sometimes, but also really frustrating. Last week I did nothing but job hunt. It felt extremely unproductive. My first thought, naturally, was to look for a job as a waitress, since I have the most experience doing that. But since there are only so many nice restaurants out here, pretty much none of them are hiring. One nice one has had an ad in the paper for about three weeks. I actually applied twice over there (once with one manager, and once with another), and I haven't heard anything. I even went down the hill to Rancho Cucamonga, and everyone was extremely snotty. You know what I can't stand? I go to all the trouble to make a really nice resume and reference sheet, and no one wants one. Everywhere I went, the hostess would only accept an application, which usually asked for less information than I provided on my resume. My favorite part was when they told me when they accepted the applications, and I was still about an hour or so within the time limit for the day.
Then on Friday, my dad called me up and said their was an ad in the paper (because he takes it with him) for auditions for a mystery dinner theatre. I went to check it out, and I got a part. The owner gave my a copy of the show on DVD, so I could get an idea of what it's like. Here's my idea: it's horrible. Oh, my goodness, it's sooooo bad. It's about these hillbillies who are being hounded by an IRS agent who gets killed, and the dad is sexually abusing the daughter, but it's supposed to be funny because they're hillbillies, and all this crap. The writing is terrible. There is no back story. You just discover things as the show goes along (while that may sound appropriate for a mystery show, it's still lame). The cast is all right, but their morale is low, because it's such a lousy show and less people are seeing it. But it pays a dollar a head and I have no money, so let's put on a show!
I find it ironic that, while in L.A., I couldn't land an acting job to save my life, but I could get normal jobs pretty easy. But when I move back home, I can't find a normal job, but land an acting gig, right away.
I went to a rehearsal on Saturday, and only two people showed up on time besides me. Everyone else showed up an hour and a half, later. When the show went on, that night, I got to be a hostess.
Today is rehearsal, and they would like me to learn the lines for the detective and be show-ready by Friday. Now, I don't mean to be whiney, but the detective has 70% of the show's lines. It's been about six years since I've had to memorize a role with that many lines, and I don't know if I can pull that off in time.
Wait, it gets better.
Yesterday, I got a call from a nice restaurant that is only about a five-minute drive for me. I went in for an interview, filled out an application, and was told I'll more than likely be hired in a few days. This is great news, but now I may not be able to do the dinner theatre. That also wouldn't be so bad, but I haven't been in anything for about six years, like I said ( I don't count extra work as acting).
Well, we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I'm taking a break from the job hunt, today, and I'm going to learn some lines.

No comments: